Saturday, December 7, 2019

Time Turns to the Scent of Liquid

The scent of the pores of the Earth

Opening up as the sky pours into it.

Smells have no filter.

They draw a direct line to the past.

With one deep inhalation

I am connected to a million lives lived.

Past lives are subtle

But my childhood is vivid.

We take the long way home

No matter the weather.

All four windows down

As we drive just below the speed limit.

The wind blowing in my mother's hair

Nostrils out the window and parallel to the headlights.

Pulling the miniature forest into her lungs.

As a kid it was just

Another strange adventure.

But also fun to see

My mother transported to another time and place.

Our drive was through a thin slice of the park.

But she devoured that slice

And it fed her until our next ride.

I pulled more moist air into my sinuses

Into the backs of my eyes.

I opened up that memory

And let it pour out back into the soil

So that the next time it rains

She can enjoy the scent again.

No comments:

Post a Comment